This week has been a real funky-doo week, and with the oppressive heat, I just haven’t felt like being in the kitchen and cooking anything. And of course, I don’t want to disappoint you all, so I thought I would give you something different and share some fun food facts with you.
- Did you know peaches and nectarines are basically the same fruit? They’re nearly genetically identical except for one thing: a gene that’s either dominant (in peaches) or recessive (in nectarines). That’s what determines whether the skin is fuzzy or smooth. This was news to me, but it makes sense and I love them both.
2. This is REAL corn. It is called Glass Gem Corn. It almost looks like a piece of art, and not something you could actually eat, but eat it people do. Oklahoma farmer Carl Barnes spent years selectively breeding the colorful corn as a way to reconnect with his heritage. Now anyone can buy and plant the multicolored cobs.
3. Have you ever heard of a fruit salad tree? Guess what? They actually do exist. These multi-grafted trees were developed in Australia to grow up to six different types of fruit on one tree. Leave it to the Aussies to be different. I am proud of my innovative Aussie heritage.
4. German chocolate cake did not originate in Germany. It’s just called that because of Sam German — the guy who invented a kind of baking chocolate. The first published recipe for German(‘s) chocolate cake was actually written by a Texas homemaker. Everybody loves cake. My Aussie heritage was represented above and now my Texas roots are represented here. SWEET! My mom and dad would both be so proud. 🙂
5. And last but not least for today’s edition of fun food facts … Hawaiian pizza didn’t come from Hawai’i. It is actually a Canadian creation.
I bet you didn’t know most of these fun food facts. I know I did not, and I too learned some new things. But isn’t that what life is all about? Isn’t life about constantly learning and trying new things? I think so, and I hope you do too. You just never know the things you can learn about until you start looking. 🙂
Stay cool, stay safe and stay well Everyone. ‘Til next time.