As much as I love to share my recipes with you, sometimes it’s fun to shake things up a bit and share other fun things too. I am insatiably curious, about most things, and that certainly includes fun food facts as well. Here are some new things I learned about food.
- Applesauce was the first food eaten in space, on the Friendship 7 Flight by Astronaut John Glenn.
2. Applesauce is the first food to be eaten in space, but potatoes were the first food planted in space and spacelike conditions.
3. Pistachios are not nuts but are instead a fruit. They are “drupes” which means they are a fleshy tree fruit that contains a shell covered seed.
4. Broccoli contains more protein than steak per 100 calories, however you would have to eat A LOT of broccoli to get the same amount of protein in one meal. I love broccoli, but I will take the steak as my protein option, thank you.
5. Raspberries are roses. They, like a lot of other fruits, including strawberries, apples, pears, plums, cherries, apricots and peaches, are actually a part of the roacea or rose family.
I know I learned some new things about food. I hope you did too.
Have a great day. Stay safe and stay well Everyone. ‘Til next time.